Saturday, February 7, 2009

February 7, 2009


February 7
--------------------
When reading through the passage in Exodus it strikes me just how important worship of God is.  All of these specific details are laid out because God is essentially saying that worship is sacred and very very serious. It's also joyous, but we must not forget the holiness of our God. The Lord is giving these instructions to Moses on mount sinai, inviting his people to live as his chosen nation... also pay attention to the details and much of the New Testament will make more sense. There are lots of references there... I was thinking at the end of the Exodus passage, wow, this reminds me of the parable of the ten virgins, and there it is. I didn't even know that was coming?
Jesus tells a parable of ten wise virgins. This parable and the parable of the talents highlight very much Charles' much used theme LILYMI... basically we should anticipate Christ's return and do his work as his servants, knowing he will one day return to set things right. We should live in constant expectation of Christ's return.
The Psalms and Proverbs passages have a common theme. They display the blessings for those who serve the Lord God. We will have favour and care in his love according to the Psalms. We will know the right path according to Proverbs. These both highlight the blessings that are ours for following Christ's way.
In Matthew

1 comment:

  1. I must say that the parable of the talents hits me hard. I often think of myself as a good Christian because of the bad things I don't do, like the servant given one talent who thought it was best to make sure it's not lost.

    But Jesus wants us to do more than just anchor down & make sure we don't go the wrong direction. Jesus wants us to strive to move the right direction.

    That, along with the parable of the 10 virgins (no, not 72 virgins :) ), encourages me to get off my butt and get busy for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete