Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 24 -- Retrieving lost tools, God style

Everything from a floating axehead, to chariots of fire, to blinded enemies, to a guard getting trampled to death: 2 Kings 6:1-7:20

Hi, Timothy. I want you to go around preaching with me. But there’s something I need you to do first: Acts 15:36-16:15

Set me free from my prison: Psalm 142:1-7

A discerning man keeps wisdom in view: Proverbs 17:24-25

Lot’s of hard core prophet action going on in today’s reading from 2nd Kings. :)

Because the Arameans had laid a siege (a blockade) against Samaria, the Israelites in Samaria couldn’t get out to grow crops or raise meat. They were hurting for food, with no late night Taco Bell in sight.

Read 2nd Kings 6:26-31 again. Can you imagine things getting so bad that you’d agree to share either others’ kids as meals? I can just hear my mother being part of that negotiation: “I’ll give you my son, Charles, for two of your kids. Charles is big & fat. You’ll get a lot of meals out of him.” :)

When it got this bad, the king of Israel was mad. Who was he mad at? Was he mad at the Israelites for disobeying God and cutting of His providence? Was he mad at himself for not sticking to God like glue or praying day & night for the wisdom to lead the nation in this time of crisis? Nope. He was mad at God & he took it out on God’s servant, Elisha.

But the Lord rescued Elisha by telling Elisha what to tell the king.

God is the one we should fear. Our fellow man has only the power that God lets him have. And God showed Himself off by delivering the Israelites out of their siege.

If you want to be the one who’s ahead of the game, trust God & seek His glory. Elisha was on the winning side all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment