Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April 1 (Wednesday) -- The Prophet



No Sacrificing Your Children Through the Fire: Deuteronomy 18:1-20:20

The Three Prophets – Jesus, Moses, & Elijah: Luke 9:28-50

Surely God Is Good: Psalm 73:1-28

Good Boys Care for Animals: Proverbs 12:10


Isn’t it cool that God made it so that He could walk among us? I don’t know the exact construct of the Trinity. But I do know that God the Father is simply too much for us to be around and live (Deuteronomy 18:16). So God sent the part of the Trinity that’s both all God and all man – Jesus. He even foretold it all the way back in Deuteronomy 18:15-16: The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, "Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die."

And just so there’s no confusing Jesus with Moses or Elijah (two cornerstone prophets of the Jewish faith), in Luke God sets Jesus above them. Peter wanted to treat Jesus equal to Moses & Elijah, but God said, “This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to Him.” In Deuteronomy, the prophet Moses also said, “listen to Him”, when talking about Jesus. I think the point is: Listen to Jesus. Jesus is the part of the Trinity that was able to interact with his fellow man. But that doesn’t mean he’s just man. He’s also God. We should listen to God, even the teachings He gave when He looked human.

1 comment:

  1. the idea that jesus is both God and man is almost as mysterious as the idea that God is three and one... Yet, it's also so encouraging. I'm so thankful Jesus can know what it's like to go through my various temptations and trials, yet I am also so confident because I know his power in salvation is divine and not of a mere man.

    ReplyDelete